Articles & Resources

The Oregon Department of Human Services: A sub division of this agency, the background check Unit (BCU), also entertains requests pertaining to criminal history information including warrants and arrests. To avail this facility, you will have to download the appropriate inquiry request form from and send it to the BCU at:

While every criminal matter that enters the legal system of the state of Oregon is different and it is treated as such there are several common stages that occur as cases flow through the justice network of the state including law enforcement and the judiciary. Regardless of the nature of the crime, who has committed it and the agency that handled the matter, the case will adhere to these criminal laws.

Typically, applicants will be told about the date of arrest, if the detention occurred under the provisions of an OR outstanding warrant or the charges that led to arrests, the agency that took the accused into custody, court disposition including verdict, sentencing, probation details and parole release information. Before the crime history reports are dispatched to the applicant, the subject of the inquiry is notified of the search request received in his/her name and the entity that has initiated the inquiry.

The judiciary of Oregon works across two levels which comprise of 36 circuit courts spread across 27 judicial districts, a tax court, a Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court which is at the apex of the judicial hierarchy. The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court is the chief administrative officer of the system who supervises the functioning of the tribunals in the state, frames rules and appoints various personnel to office including the Chief Judge of the appellate court and the judges of trial courts.

Pursuant to Oregon Revised Statutes 133.055, arrest warrants are issued in response to complaints filed with judicial entities. The complaint has to be made in writing with a court and it must contain information on the criminal act and how the accused was involved in it. This affidavit is generally filed by the police but civilians can also make the complaint on which the active warrant is based.